Useful File Utilities
9. How to perform search/replace and rename operations at the same time in batch mode.
Current tutorial shows how to perform search/replace and rename operations at the same time in batch mode.
Sometimes we want to rename files in our web site. So we can use an utility which allows to make such operation in a batch mode using specified list. But we need to remember that there is some links in the html files can reference to the files which we want to rename. That links will be lost after renaming. So we need to make modifications in the links with using search/replace operation. And of course we no want to make such similar operations twice. That's why we have created "Replace and Rename" utility that allows to perform search/replace and rename operations at the same time in batch mode. So when we want to rename some files in our web site we launch Useful File Utilities and perform the following steps:
1) Firstly, we need to select files/directories for which we want to perform the operations. That's can be done by using right button of the hand-point device or pressing direction buttons and SPACE. The selected items will be printed in red color.
2) Then we need to choose "R_AND_R" in the "Plug-ins" menu. If "R_AND_R" is absent in the list of plug-ins it need to be downloaded and installed. - "Download Replace and Rename".
3) A plug-in "Replace and Rename" will be shown on the screen.
4) We will need to specify a mask for the files in which we want to perform a replacement in the "Replace in files which have extensions" field. Also we will need to specify a mask for the files which we want to rename in the "Rename in files which have extensions" field.
Mask is a list of items placed in one string. Items are
divided by semicolon character. Each item specify a group of the files.
Then we need to fill the table by the text strings. Strings which we want to find are specified in the left column. Left column specify strings which we want to find. Text strings to which we want to replace are specified in the right column. Table can be filled via text file where strings are separated by tab character.
Next step is the press to the "Start" button.
5) We will see a message on the bottom of the window when operation finished.
6) On the "Replacing" sheet we can see a list of the files which content had been changed.
7) On the "Renaming" sheet we can see a list of the files which had been renamed. Then by pressing to the "Cancel" button we will return to the main window of the Useful File Utilities.
8) Main window of the program will be shown.
Copyright © ReplSoft.com